I am still the boss, will not quit : Kalmadi on CWG

I am still the boss, will not quit : Kalmadi on CWG

Commonwealth Games Organising Committee Chairman Suresh Kalmadi on Friday made it clear that he would not quit despite the charges of corruption levelled against him with regard to the upcoming mega event, asserting that he was still the boss.

Kalmadi said he has taken up the challenge of delivering a very good 2010 Games, and that there was no question of him resigning as he had done nothing wrong.

"Yes. Organising the Games is my responsibility. I am continuing with it," said Kalmadi, when asked whether he was still the boss after the Government set up an empowered committee of bureaucrats to look into the functioning of the 2010 Games.

"Group of Ministers was there. The committee of secretaries under Cabinet Secretary was always there. The Prime Minister had a meeting and he has asked all these committees to get more active and give more support. I am getting more support from government and I am the OC chairman," he added.

Kalmadi further said Commonwealth Games Federation chief Mike Fennel, who had come to India for a two-day inspection of the venues has given a good report.

" I welcome all this because of the circumstances. Things are under control and we are capable of delivering a 'good and transparent Games. I don't know why all these campaigns started. Everything was smooth till the last 15 days or so. All the foreign countries are saying there will be a good Games," said Kalmadi.

"Our reputation is at stake and after all these years of hard work I don't want to go down in this manner. I am ready to face any inquiry after the Games. The Prime Minister has supported us to a great extent. We are focused now. Next one month I will be fully focused and I am not distracted," he added.

The 2010 Commonwealth Games, which kicks off on October 3 is India's biggest sporting event since the 1982 Asian Games.

India is expecting about two million tourists in New Delhi for the Games, as well as about 10,000 athletes from 71 teams representing 54 Commonwealth member states.

Satellite Image

Popular Posts